Strategic Planning 2012
As TREC and TALCB embark on the development of their strategic plan for the next five years (2013-2017), we will be gathering input at 5 locations.
If you are unable to attend any of these meetings you can submit your comments to Christine.Anderson @ trec.texas.gov
|TREC/TALCB Strategic Planning Meetings
||Corpus Christi Board of REALTORS
Corpus Christi Country Club
6300 Everhart Rd
Corpus Christi, TX 78413-2638
||Galveston Association of REALTORS
Galveston Country Club
14228 Stewart Road
Galveston, TX 77554
||Bryan College Station
Association of REALTORS
Best Western Hotel
1920 Austins Colony Parkway
Bryan, TX 77803
||Permian Basin Board of REALTORS
Green Tree Country Club
1001 West Wall Street
Midland, TX 79701
||MetroTex Association of REALTORS
8201 North Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, TX 75247
The agency oversees and regulates brokerage and sales agents, appraisers, inspectors, residential service contract “home warranty” providers, timeshare projects, and right of way/easement agents. Together these are referred to as “real estate services” providers.
TREC/TALCB Listening Tour Questions for Discussion
Communications: TREC/TALCB is working to improve communications with its license holders.
- Is e-mail the best way to contact you about agency issues? What about social media?
- Are you effectively informed about rules and policy changes that may affect your license?
- Would you prefer weekly, monthly or quarterly news from the agency? Online format or PDF?
Website: TREC/TALCB is working on a major update/revision of its website to be more user friendly.
- How often do you access the TREC/TALCB website? What do you do while online?
- What would you like to be able to do on the TREC/TALCB website that is not yet available?
- What, if any, changes would you make to the TREC/TALCB website?
Education: TREC/TALCB has revised some of the real estate pre-license and MCE requirements.
- Are pre-license education requirements adequate for a sales person’s license? Any changes needed?
- Are MCE requirements adequate for sales persons? Same question for brokers? Any changes needed?
TREC SES: Enforcement processes seek to protect consumers and to deter unethical acts by license holders.
- If a license has been revoked, is a waiting period needed before reapplying for a license? How long?
- Should a license be suspended if an administrative penalty remains unpaid or no satisfactory payment arrangements have been met within a reasonable time of the ordered payment? How long?
- Should the agency be able to recoup actual costs of a hearing from a licensee if the agency prevails?
- Do you think that the current statutory criminal sanctions for unlicensed activity are sufficient to deter that activity? (Currently a Class A Misdemeanor and a maximum fine of $4,000).
TALCB SES: Appraisal Management Companies are a brand new category of business required to register.
- For AMCs – how is your experience dealing with the agency so far? For Appraisers – what is your experience dealing with AMCs since registration has now begun? Has there been a change? How?
- In general for appraisers; what works well about the complaints and enforcement process; what does not work well; any suggestions for how the process could be improved, etc.?
Home Inspector Issues:
- Are there are areas of inspection regulation that are not adequately addressed under current law and where consumer protection would be improved if TREC's jurisdiction were expanded?
- Should the rules include any exceptions for single-component inspections? Which ones?
- What is on your mind that we have not asked about? What are we missing in our plans to improve?
TREC/TALCB exists to safeguard the public interest and protect consumers of real estate services. In accord with state and federal laws, the agency oversees real estate brokerage, appraisal, inspection, home warranty and timeshare interest providers. Through education, licensing and regulation, the agency ensures the availability of qualified and ethical service providers, thereby facilitating economic growth and opportunity in Texas.
For Your Reference
See the FY 2011-2015 Strategic Plan.